05 February 2007

What's that smell?

I was on the train today back from Victoria and was reading Canada Post, the free rag for Canadians living in the UK.

Most of it is HIDEOUSLY out of date, but there was a brief article on Sarnia and some oil fire that had been burning. They've decided to let it run its course and all that, but it got me thinking back to - of all things - the horrid, horrid smell of Sarnia's Chemical Valley. The ripe stink of oil and plastic and all those oil-based products still haunts my olfactory senses to this day.

In fact, while I was reading the article on the train, my memory obviously kicked into overdrive and delivered a remembered dose of the stink to my nose. Man it reeks!

To add the ironic level to this event, I was hanging with my Sarnia crony Fraser today, discussing places to take my wife when we visit (she has not had to pleasure of a Sarnia trip yet). His overwhelming "must see" was the stink of Chemical Valley... then chips under the bridge, Ice Cream Galore, over to the States, etc, etc.

Weird how life works some times.

No comments: