24 February 2006

Sarnie YEAH!

Having spent my formative years in the backwater that is Sarnia, ON, it's always with an incredulous grin that I greet the mention of the town in popular culture.

A couple of years ago I was in a small cinema in London's West End watching Michael Moore's "Bowling For Columbine" when the scenes in Point Edward and Sarnia came on. I was punching my fists in the air and grinning like a Cheshire cat and no one around me knew why.

A similar feeling came over me last night when I was watching the Paul Gross / Leslie Nielsen comedy "Men With Brooms". It concerns an underdog curling team trying to win the big game for their deceased coach. One of the teams they have to crawl over to get there? Sarnia! Hey hey!

For such a nothing town, there's always a load of odd references to it and that keeps me just a little more connected with my childhood.

No comments: